- A 'Short Circuit' Fan Built Johnny Five Out of LEGOs << #Robot #Lego and #JohnnyFive All classics!
- UI, UX: Who Does What? A Designer's Guide To The Tech Industry << Specializations in #Design
- Twitter’s Artificial Intelligence Knows What’s Happening in Live Video Clips << #AI from @WillKnight https://t.co/sQiKsA4Bnz ->
- Why Do We Love Photos Of Things Organized Neatly? << #Design https://t.co/ZVVbVHsw3E ->
- Next step on observing quantum physics in real life << Waitin' for superposition, entanglement and teleportation
- History of A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (Infographic) << #AI
- "What's all the fuss about computers?" – #CalvinAndHobbes https://t.co/5JoZgRMypn ->
- This Chart Helps You Expertly Pair Beer and Food << Useful #Bookmark https://t.co/HsLZOAjsH8 ->
- Instead of Using Batteries, This Computer Draws Energy From the Air << #Science to rescue Moore's Law? https://t.co/rAEb3YfSwt ->
- In Tokyo’s library-hotel, guests sleep in the bookshelves << #Nice https://t.co/FAh6MnH8at ->
- Robot monk blends science and Buddhism at Chinese temple << #Robots good for #Marketing too. https://t.co/Rgnzz8rory ->
- Making Predictive #Analytics a Routine Part of Patient Care [HBR] << Integrate w #DecisionMgt https://t.co/iu7mrxChLC ->
- RT @holgermu: MyPOV – Sending someone a picture of a chart is not driving actions from insights… #SAPSFSummit16 ->
- Explicitly recognizing Biz Knowledge Assets (Rules, Analytics, Algos) reduces complexity in Biz Models. #bpmNEXT https://t.co/fyxhSiRQ6K ->
Decision modeling adds explicit effectiveness metrics to the more generally accepted efficiency metrics generated by business process modeling, giving the full picture to the Executive Suite.
Process efficiency measures throughput, costs, error-rates and similar, while process effectiveness measures whether the process is fulfilling its purpose – picking the most profitable customers, for example. Most business process management metrics focus on efficiency measures since effectiveness measures generally depend on the decisioning logic embedded within processes. Explicit decision modeling turns a spotlight on process goals and associated effectiveness metrics. Executive leadership can now balance and trade-off efficiency measures like throughput with effectiveness measures like profitability.
Why doesn’t BPM get enough Executive attention?
Business Strategy gets executed in Business Processes. So, success is measured by first translating strategy objectives into measurable targets and then linking them to measurable process metrics. This ‘metrics hierarchy’ does work to some degree but it is an unreliable connection between planning and execution since most process metrics are based on efficiency, and not on effectiveness.
Efficiency metrics like output-per-unit or errors-per-transaction or cost-per-shipment measure how well a defined process is operating in terms of throughput. Effectiveness metrics like margin-per-sale or default-probability-per-order measure how well a defined process is operating in terms of its intended goal.
An insurance Claims Process can be very efficient at paying out claims – large volumes, low errors and low costs, but it can be very ineffective if it is not picking the right claims to process. The processing logic used to pick the right claims to process does not have an in-flight real-time measurable metric. This lack of an explicit effectiveness metric is then compensated for by running reports after the fact.
While the CEO and CFO want to see both the efficiency and effectiveness metrics on their dashboards, they are likely to pay more attention to effectiveness measures. Process efficiency can be improved incrementally but almost all business decision making is to make the process more effective. Going back to the Claims Processing example, executive decision making will focus first on how to reduce bad claims payments and then on cost savings by increasing throughput.
So, BPM does not get the attention it deserves because it is generally not set up to generate the sought-after effectiveness metrics.
How does Business Decision Management solve the problem?
Business Decision Modeling uncovers how decisions are being made within business processes. One of the key techniques to discover, define and describe these decisions is through effective measures. What makes this process effective? What decision needs to be made well for that to happen? How can we tell whether the decision being made is a good one or not? Are there threshold targets to be met before the process is allowed to finish executing? The answers to these questions are formally documented and shared to build consensus on decision making models – ultimately resulting in well-understood process effectiveness measures directly tied to process execution.
Decision modeling is done alongside process modeling in an iterative cycle until both elements are clearly defined along with the respective effectiveness and efficiency measures. These metrics can then be delivered to Executive Dashboards through BI technology.
CEOs, CFOs and other business managers now have a complete picture of how strategy is being executed in business process management systems. And more importantly, they now have the visibility to consider trade-offs between efficiency and effectiveness.
(First published at the Business Process Management Institute)
- Selling Shovels in Machine-Learning Gold Rush << Still, few maps. #Methodology for #MachineLearning = #DecisionMgt https://t.co/NGOuxzRgGo ->
- Wanted: Creative Humans to Make AI Personalities Sparkle << Making the #Robot more human. #ManMachine https://t.co/CBDrInPzSh ->
- Robot waiters fired after spilling drinks food at restaurant
<< Human after all. #Robot #Singularity
- Your Future Toyota May Know Where You’re Going Before You’ve Told It
<< #BigData #IoT and #MachineLearning
- Schrodinger's Cat, explained.
#Physics https://t.co/eVgt2HEMeI ->
- Tesla Races a 737 and Wins << All about the Ludicrous mode.
- Conversational Interfaces, Explained << Talking with, not talking to a machine. #MachineLearning https://t.co/TAcdCfqt4g ->
- A Video Game About The Secret Lives Of Everything In The Universe << #Philosophy in a #Playstation https://t.co/7l10etCQXx ->
- A programming language for living cells << #ManMachine and #Singularity https://t.co/0fCAedf9cS ->
- The Surprising Meaning Behind The Most Popular Flag Colors << #Design https://t.co/rjZc1gTtvF ->
- How Google Plans to Solve Artificial Intelligence << #AI #MachineLearning #DeepMind https://t.co/KO3c6vnEvq ->
- Bringing Big Neural Networks to Self-Driving Cars, Smartphones
<< Predicting Intention w/ #MachineLearning
- No more washing: Nano-enhanced textiles clean themselves with light
- Software That Reads Harry Potter Might Perform Some Wizardry
- Commoditizing Software, by @DenisPombriant << The next big thing? #CIO #BAoT #PMoT https://t.co/KXVOCptkMd ->
- How World War II Sparked The Scandinavian Design Craze << Hmm. IKEA #Design https://t.co/z3GsZFCrqM ->
- Microsoft silences its new A.I. bot Tay, after Twitter users teach it racism << Well, it is #MachineLearning
- Why Is the Runtime On This Simon and Garfunkel Song Listed as "2:74"? << Fakin' It. Ha. https://t.co/CFABgvbofe ->
- After 150 Years, the ASA Says No to p-values << Hurray for the American Statistical Association. #Statistics https://t.co/6gY9q1lwYz ->
- Once a decision, always a decision (never data) << #DecisionMgt and #DMN https://t.co/r2ne426vMq ->
- The Long-Awaited Promise of a Programmable Quantum Computer <<
Work in Progress. #Future